Never been so glad to suffer through a boring Broncos draft
I’ve been covering Broncos’ drafts for 24 years now. This one was easily in my top five for most-boring draft ever. And you know what? I’m okay with that! Because the Broncos have Russell Wilson and the buzz of him being here hasn’t come close to wearing off.
Other thoughts on the Broncos and the NFL Draft in general…
• Kind of funny (and embarrassing) how much talk was given before the Wilson trade to this year’s crop of quarterbacks. To think how many fans and media and fellow The Fan talk show hosts pushed for and tried to make the case for Kenny Pickett, Malik Willis, Matt Corral and Desmond Ridder to be taken by the Broncos at No. 9! Pickett slipped to No. 20 and the others didn’t go until the third round! Yikes.
• I’m hoping the NFL has finally regained its sanity and this draft means quarterbacks will stop being overdrafted.
• The Russell Wilson being “drafted” by the Broncos video was corny as heck and I loved it. Hey, if Seattle got tired of Russ’ schtick and it was part of the reason they traded him, then thank you very much. Maybe t10en years from now, I’ll be tired of it too. But, I’m willing to take that chance.
• I don’t know about UCLA tight end Greg Dulcich’s game, but I know his hair is sublime. That guy’s hair is beautiful and I’m making it my new crusade to END the tradition of Broncos’ rookies getting bad haircuts as part of their rookie hazing. That hair must be saved!
• Broncos didn’t draft a running back which makes sense after bringing back Melvin Gordon. I’m fine with that. Javonte Williams, Gordon and Mike Boone is a good group for a team that’s trying to win right now.
• Free agency and the draft is done. How does this Broncos team look on paper? I like the running backs. Offensive line is above average. With all the options at wide receiver at least two guys should emerge. They seem a bit thin at tight end. Or at least unproven. I’m confident this offense averages at least 25 points per game, which compared to what we’ve watched the last six years should be wildly entertaining and will make the Broncos a legit playoff contender.
• On defense, I like their front seven. Corner opposite PS2 is a concern. Safeties look strong.
• All in all, this should be a good team. This should be at least a 10-win team with realistic expectations to win 11. For me, it comes down to how quickly can this coaching staff figure it out and how long does it take to get Wilson to gel with all the new guys on offense. And get that continuity with Nathaniel Hackett?
• Last thought on the NFL Draft. I can’t believe I’m going to say this but I thought the draft coverage was more interesting during COVID when Roger Goodell was making picks from his barcalounger, Bill Belichick’s dog was a star and everyone wanted a crib like Kliff Kingsbury’s. The draft coverage was boring. Clearly, ESPN wants to stay cozy with the NFL because there were no fireworks. There was no arguing. I found myself wishing Stephen A. Smith and the Mad Dog were there to spice it up.