The Broncos are coming off of a crushing road victory over the Giants. Teddy Bridgewater was dealing, the defense showed up big, it was a balanced game on both sides of the ball.
There is a specific player in a contract year, however, who delivered in a big way in Week 1. That’s Melvin Gordon.
Melvin Gordon is in his final year of his contract with Denver and he hasn’t always been Broncos Country favorite player. With 11 carries for 101 yards and a touchdown against the Giants, however, the running back may be starting to win over the fan base.
Most of his yards came on a 70 yard run to end the game, but Melvin was running hard all game. He was good in the passing game as both a catcher and blocker. It was a great showing for a guy trying to get his last big contract.
Melvin Gordon will have to have beyond a career year to get a new contract with the Broncos, but 2021 is try out year for the 31 other teams in the NFL. If Melvin wants that final big payday, he’ll need to keep up what he did Week 1 against the Giants.
- Elway tops star-studded list of all-time SoCal athletes
- Study calls loyalty of Broncos Country into question
- Elway, not Manning, is the right choice to own the Broncos
- The early returns are providing vindication for Broncos GM George Paton
- Clayton: Rash of penalties this season is bound to bite the Broncos