With the 26th overall pick in the 2021 NBA Draft, the Nuggets selected Nah’Shon “Bones” Hyland. Here’s what to know about the 6-foot-3 guard from VCU:
• He’s from Middletown, Delaware and attended St. Georges Technical High School
• Hyland started playing basketball by tagging along with his older brother, Tykee, when he went to the park
• The other players at the park started calling him “Bizzy Bones” and “Bones” due to his slender build
• A four-star recruit coming out of high school, Bones chose VCU over Saint Joseph’s, Rhode Island, La Salle, Boston College, UConn and Temple
• As a freshman at VCU, Hyland averaged 9.0 points, 2.2 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game, earning Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team accolades
• As a sophomore with the Rams, Hyland averaged 19.5 points, 4.7 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.9 steals per game, and was named Atlantic 10 Player of the Year
But numbers and facts don’t begin to define Hyland. His background goes well beyond talking points.
Hyland had to overcome tragedy early in his life. During his junior year in high school, his house was engulfed in fire. Hyland escaped by jumping from a second-floor window, but his 11-month-old cousin and grandmother passed away in the fire.
Hyland suffered a torn patellar tendon when jumping from the bedroom, sidelining him for six months. He returned to have a spectacular senior season, averaging 26.6 points, 6.6 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 3.4 steals per game. He also led his team to the semifinals of the state tournament, was named Delaware Player of the Year and earned first-team All-State honors.
The Nuggets were depleted at guard late in the season and during the playoffs. They now have another really good one on the roster.
- Clayton: This season is as big for Pat Shurmur as it is for Vic Fangio
- Inside The Game : Mark Schlereth looks ahead to Broncos at Jaguars
- Elevator Pitch: Hopefully Chubb can make debut Sunday vs. Jags
- After one week, the Broncos offense is good from far, but far from good
- Broncos rookie Patrick Surtain to start, "go right in" for Ronald Darby
- Broncos fantasy football outlook for Week 2 against the Jaguars