George Paton signed a six-year deal with the Broncos to become their new general manager. The team has many holes to fill, with John Elway and Joe Ellis entering the final year of their contracts, no ownership, and a roster that is low on talent. However, his biggest task is figuring out the quarterback situation.
Drew Lock is coming off his first year as the starting QB for the Broncos. It was underwhelming, to say the least. Paton did not draft Lock, but it will be his decision on what to do with the young quarterback.
Would it be fair to Lock if the Broncos moved on? No, but the NFL isn’t fair and the Broncos have not been the most patient franchise when it comes to quarterbacks.
It won’t be easy for Paton to fix this glaring issue, especially with Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert in the same division. The pressure is on.
So does this mean Paton should trade for a veteran QB like Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan of Jimmy Garoppolo? What would they give up for Deshaun Watson? Should the Broncos draft a guy in the top 10 that could be Paton’s guy?
There is no easy answer, and it will be imperative for Paton to get this one right. If he can fix the Broncos QB nightmare, he will become a Denver sports legend.
- Clayton: Elway's "steals" a year ago didn't pan out for the Broncos
- The Broncos would be wise to enter the Russell Wilson sweepstakes
- NFL players need to be better prepared for life after football
- Denver Broncos release defensive tackle Jurrell Casey
- Three most-underrated Denver Broncos in the 2021 season
- Reports: Ex-Broncos DB Darrius Johnson passes away at 47