Despite declarations that Trevor Siemian has won the Denver Broncos quarterback job, head coach Vance Joseph reiterated on Saturday that Paxton Lynch would get first-team reps this week against the San Francisco 49ers and, as of right now, “it’s an open competition.”
“I respect you guys, but your opinion kind of matters not very much when it comes to the quarterback position,” Joseph said, laughing, after practice on Saturday. “I respect that, but again it’s a competition.
“It’s fair to allow each guy to have a chance to play with the ones in the actual game. This week it’s Paxton’s turn, and we’ll figure it out from there.”
But if Joseph heeded the opinion of Denver 7 Insider Troy Renck, the competition would be over and Siemian would be in line to start Week 1 on Sept. 11 against the Los Angeles Chargers.
“If it were me, and I was Vance Joseph, I would have declared the winner last week and said Siemian’s the guy,” Renck told “Schlereth & Evans” on Monday. “I have not seen enough from Lynch to keep it a competition.
“Vance Joseph has said throughout that if he sees clear separation, he’s going to call it. I think there’s been enough separation, frankly.”
During OTAs in June, Joseph said he did not have a timetable for naming a starter when asked if the competition would come down to the wire.
“It could be the first week of camp or it could be the end of preseason. I’m not sure,” Joseph said. “When I see a clear separation, I’ll call it off.”
But Renck said he believes that Lynch has been given a shot at the job and hasn’t been able to take advantage.
“He’s been given his chance. He’s just not been able to distinguish himself in a way that I know a lot of people had hoped,” Renck said.
Count “Stokley & Zach” co-host Brandon Stokley among those calling for Joseph to throw in the towel on Lynch, as he echoed Renck’s words on Monday.
“The party is over. I’ve been hiding from it and trying to hope that maybe we’ll see the light go off with Paxton and he can get this thing fixed. It’s not happening. It’s just not happening right now. OK?” Stokley said on Monday.
“I’m not calling him a bust. I’m not saying maybe at some point he’ll help this football team, but not on Sept. 11 against the Chargers.”
Follow digital content producer Johnny Hart on Twitter: @JohnnyHart7.
- Clayton: Aaron Rodgers to the Broncos could resume in 2022
- Storylines to watch heading into the 2021 Broncos training camp
- Bradley Chubb still a question mark before camp
- Broncos Country should root for Drew Lock to win this QB battle
- Denver Broncos sign DB Tedric Thompson
- Training Camp 2021: Previewing the Broncos safeties